We have all been asked the question, would you rather be hot or cold…. and I can confidently say with both hands raised, HOT is forever my choice. I live for these sizzling seasons. The warm weather motivates me to cram as much in as possible to make the most of these sun soaked days. Who’s with me?
Whether or not you are on board with the heatwave, we all can relate to the fact that our routine tends to shift a little with the seasons. In my post Steel Cut Oatmeal 101 I walked you through my standard weekday breakfast during fall and winter. Now that we are in the middle of spring, and summer is on the horizon those bowls of hearty hot cereal don’t quite fit the flow of my mornings. We’re switching gears, and I’m giving you the details on my favorite go-to smoothie.
Restorative Berry Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 1/2 c. almond milk (more or less based on desired thickness)
- 4 tablespoons vegan chocolate protein powder (or 2 suggested servings for your protein powder of choice)
- 2 cups frozen berry blend (just frozen berries no added sugar)
- 2 whole fresh bananas (frozen is fine too)
- 2 tablespoons falxseed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 handfuls of spinach, or as much as you can fit until your blender is sufficiently packed
- Blend on high until mixture reaches preferred consistency
Dirty Blender Pro Tip: This may be common knowledge to some, but I learned this trick recently and it blew my mind. After you’ve poured out the contents of your smoothie, add a little water to your empty but grimy blender, and give it a few pulses. The sides and the blades will get a good rinse from all that residue, making cleanup way easier.
This smoothie is such a treat after an early morning workout! Fitting in more mornings at the gym also means less time before work, so smoothies are especially convenient for when you’re running out the door.
What are your smoothie content must-haves?